History - First Lutheran Church

First Lutheran Church of Plano, IL was formally organized on October 3, 1883. There were twenty-five adult charter members. Seventeen more families became members during the next two years. Services were held each Sunday, often conducted by laymen as Pastors were shared with other churches. Services were conducted in Norwegian for many years.   Synod Affiliations of First Lutheran have been:

Norwegian Augustana Synod 1884-1890

United Norwegian Lutheran Church in America 1890-1917

Norwegian Lutheran Church of America 1917-1946

The Evangelical Lutheran Church 1946-1960

The American Lutheran Church 1961-1987

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America 1987-

After First Lutheran was founded in 1883, services were held in homes until a church could be built. Land was donated for the site by Louis Steward. The cornerstone was laid July 12, 1884, and the first service was held on Christmas Day of that year. The cost of the building was $800. The church was struck by lightening on June 1, 1916. Extensive damage resulted. The church was repaired and back in use in three months. This building served the congregation for 70 years until the congregation grew too large for it.      Pastor Leonard Johnson lived in a home at the corner of Center and Clark streets. He sold this lot to the congregation for $500 and moved his house to the adjacent lot. Pastor Johnson also drew the architectural plans for the new church. Ground-breaking was held on August 9, 1953. It took several years to complete the church as much of the labor was done by church members. The new sanctuary was dedicated October 6, 1957. 550 people attended.

Ground was broken for the Education Wing on Palm Sunday, 1971. The structure was dedicated in October  of 1971 on the 88th anniversary of the church.

Click here to download the 125th Anniversary Program from 2008 as a PDF file.